June 19, 2021

The University of California system no longer considers SAT and ACT scores in the admissions process

The University of California organization announced in a legal settlement with student and bar groups that they will no longer consider SAT and ACT scores when reviewing applications for admission or scholarships.

Under Solution, The University has agreed that SAT or ACT scores sent in admission applications to any organization between the fall of 2021 and the spring of 2025 will not be viewed by admission authorities.

The university has already agreed in May 2020 to consider SAT and ACT scores for students applying for admission in the fall of 2025 or later.

The result is that the University of California has nine campuses across the state and a total of approximately 225,000 undergraduate students, making it one of the largest schools to cut ties with standardized tests that have been a key component of college admissions for decades.

Friday’s settlement marks the end of a long-running legal dispute over the use of standardized tests. In one of the 2019 cases, students, bar teams and The Compton Integrated School District argued that the trials were unfair to students of color, as well as those with disabilities and low-income families.

The University of California last year joined other universities in optimizing SAT and ACT scores for applications due to corona virus infection, and had already decided to extend this option period for another year.

However, the students sued the university, alleging that the option to voluntarily submit marks was still unfair to students with disabilities, many of whom were unable to take the tests with the accommodation they needed during the outbreaks.

Last year, Alameda High Court Judge Brad Seligman Issued a preliminary restraining order When the complaint is considered in court, UC universities will be barred from accepting standardized test scores.

The university filed an appeal against the decision, at which point a spokesman said it would consider a solution. “It will provide reassurance to students and their families, counselors and high schools.” The New York Times Announced.

U.C. The board’s officially approved Friday settlement also states that the university system will pay more than $ 1.2 million to the lawyers representing the plaintiffs in the case.

The solution states that UC should choose to use the alternative option during the future admissions process and that it will “consider access to students with disabilities in designing and implementing any such exam”.

Amanda Savage, one of the lawyers representing the students in the case, told the Times that “this solution ensures that the university does not return to the planned use of SAT and ACT – racist measures accepted by its own rulers.”